Post new topic   Reply to topic    The War is Hell Community Forum Index -> MMO Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinncynt
-------------------------

re: WoW Vanilla Server

So...

Yesterday I was chatting with a buddy of mine who I used to play WoW with.  I was telling him that if Blizzard launched a new server tomorrow that started at classic WoW and then, on the same time line, released the content patches/expansions (so allow the same amount of time between Vanilla and TBC for example, while having all of Vanilla available for that time frame) that I would gladly start paying my sub again and take up the game once more.  I long for the olden days.  Running the old dungeons, gathering and farming for the loot to make my character unstoppable!

That's when he told me about Vanilla Gaming.  It's a private WoW server that's currently at Naxx.  Experience is slightly increased, as is gold drops and item drops, but not significantly so.

Anyone have any experience with this?  I know it's against the EULA and all that jazz, but I don't think I care.  I'm more worried about malicious attempts on my computer than anything else.  I was thinking about giving it a whirl but...

I have an old laptop laying around I might wipe and install it too to avoid compromising my core system.

Vinncynt

Then upon poking around I found The Rebirth which actually sounds pretty awesome, ha.

Aunedaiel

Vin,

There's also Project 1999, original EQ goodness. I think they've gotten to Ruins of Kunark and they're going to release Shards of Velious soon. I'm not sure how far they're planning on taking it, but vanilla EQ, RoK, and SoV were the best parts of the original 3D MMORPG. Although I must warn anyone who wants to try it, it requires the platinum edition of Everquest (costs about $100 lol). It also requires a shit load of time and patience as back then it took days to grind out levels instead of hours. But for those who loved pre-Shadows of Luclin Everquest and don't mind working for their levels, check it out. 

P.S. Those who don't know, vanilla Everquest was about 100x harder than vanilla WoW. There was no soloing unless you were a druid or ranger.

Vaultese

Never had an issue playing private servers of any games ever. You should be good to go. Never received anything regarding viruses or keyloggers or etc. of that type of jazz, and I always had a blast. Nearly everytime I tried out a private server, they already had mirror locations for you to download that specific older version of the game itself, and then you just replaced the launcher with one of their own (practically like if you got something off of The Pirate Bay, if ya know what I mean).

Back when I lived in Iowa, I had a TON of experience doing private servers with about eight of my best friends, all set up in my apartment, and we did private servers of Maplestory, Aion, and WoW as well.

Course, we never had any concerns about our true server accounts because none of us played on the actual real company's servers lol.

Vinncynt

BTW for anyone interested I am playing on The Rebirth and having a pretty decent time.  Not that I'm high level or anything, lvl 10 Orc Warrior currently.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The War is Hell Community Forum Index -> MMO Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: