Post new topic   Reply to topic    The War is Hell Community Forum Index -> Community Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinncynt
-------------------------

re: Net Neutrality is Dying a Slow Death in the USA

To all of you 'Mericans out there...  You really need to be up on this because your FCC is going to screw it all up for the rest of us!

Firstly lets talk about what Net Neutrality is.  BASICALLY it means that all data on the internet must be treated equally.  10gb's of data is 10gb's of data regardless of what's in that 10gbs'.

The proposed changes that the FCC has tabled would allow Internet Service Providers to charge various rates depending on what's in that 10gb's of data.  So for example Comcast has an On Demand video service that is in direct competition with Netflix.  Under the new proposed rules (or lack there of) Comcast would be able to charge additional rates to Netflix to allow their data over Comcasts network at the same speed as Comcasts on demand service (or worse, at lower speeds.  Or even more worser at various tiers of speed depending on where the data is being sent).  That in turn would drive the price of a Netflix subscription up as I highly doubt Netflix will just eat the additional cost.

It's all a bit more complex than what I wrote out above, but that's the basics.  The jist of it if you will.  I'm sure there's someone around here who's smarter then I about this stuff and could pipe in.

Sadly what happens in the US tends to have repercussions world wide.  Again using the Netflix example I highly doubt that an increase in the subscription cost would be contained to the US.

So...  Read up, speak up, let your representative know that you're not cool with creating different tiers of internet access.  That you're not ok with people being able to pay more to get better access to knowledge.

FullOfStars

I'm thankful that not all ISPs have jumped on that bandwagon yet, but you can bet it will happen.

Dethroat.

Awarded:

This is absolute and total bullshit. This is their replacement to SOPA and CISPA, think about it, they are gonna look through all your data and charge you accordingly?! That's basically saying "Oh hey, you're paying us to intrude into your privacy. Stuff like this fires me the fuck up. I'll research and get back to this.

Serverside Management, Tech Support, TeamSpeak Administration, Website Design/Management Team, WAR TV Host

My location on TeamSpeak
The War is Hell Community TeamSpeak Viewer
Vinncynt

Each and every one of you that visits this page needs to go read this article on the Nerdist.  Towards the bottom of the article in the midst of all those pictures you'll find a quick guide on how to provide feedback to the FCC.

I'm not American and this raisins my grape, you Yankees should be outraged!

Vinncynt

So funny, and very, very informative.

Dethroat.

Awarded:

I loved that video Vin. I actually contacted the FCC after I watched it!

Serverside Management, Tech Support, TeamSpeak Administration, Website Design/Management Team, WAR TV Host

My location on TeamSpeak
The War is Hell Community TeamSpeak Viewer
Vinncynt

You really should.  If that starts to happen here in Canada I would seriously go to Ottawa and lobby against it.  This is a horrible thing that is going to ruin the internet for everyone.  It becomes a VERY slippery slope...

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The War is Hell Community Forum Index -> Community Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: