Post new topic   Reply to topic    The War is Hell Community Forum Index -> Community Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinncynt
-------------------------

re: Steam Machines: The Next Generation

Ok, so it's a super lame Star Trek reference as the subject.  Get over it 

In Steam Machine news Alienware revealed their Steam Machine called the Alienware Alpha.  The entry price point will be $550 USD, and in typical Alienware fashion you'll be able to customize some options and jack that price point if that's your thing.

The unit will ship "in time for the 2014 Holiday Season" and include an Xbox 360 Wireless Controller in lieu of the delayed Steam Controller.  The spec's for the machine are as follows.

• Exclusive Alienware Alpha Console-mode UI
  • Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (Black w/ receiver)
  • Intel Core i3 'Haswell' based processor
  • 4GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz of RAM
  • Custom-built NVIDIA 'Maxwell' based GPU w/2GB of dedicated GDDR5 high-speed memory
  • Dual-band Wireless-AC 1x1 w/Bluetooth 4.0
  • HDMI Out: Uncompressed 8 Channel Audio & support for 4k content
  • HDMI In: Direct HDMI pass-through
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • 2x USB 3.0
  • 2x USB 2.0
  • Optical Audio Out
  • 500GB SATA 3 HDD
  • Windows 8.1 64 Bit

The follow options will be available for customization:

• Intel Core i5 or i7 'Haswell' based processor
  • 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz Dual-Channel RAM
  • Dual-band Wireless-AC 2x2 w/Bluetooth 4.0
  • 1TB or 2 TB SATA 3 HDD

Oh, and I TOTALLY ripped this off of PC Gamer...

Vinncynt

The second bit of news on the Steam Machine front is the reveal of the Roccat Sova.  It's a "lapboard" solution for Steam Machines offering a keyboard and mousepad for your couch gaming needs.  It's important to note that the device does not include a mouse.  It's basically a smaller keyboard (mechanical might I add) with a comfy wrist rest and an extendable mouse pad attached.

It actually sounds pretty neat, I don't know if it would replace my gaming keyboard but in the life of a couch warrior it sounds far better to me than a controller of any type.

Thanks again PC Gamer!

Vinncynt

As you notice under the system spec's for Alienware's Steam Machine they're including a copy of Windows 8.1.  Kinda counter to a Steam Machine running to Steam OS, which is a variation on a Linux OS.

Alienware released some additional information after concerns were raised by The Interwebz (tm) regarding Windows being on a Steam Machine.  Valve delayed both the Steam Controller and Steam OS as they didn't feel it was ready for prime time, however Alienware wasn't prepared to delay shipment of this unite for the Holiday Season of 2014.  That's why they're including Windows 8.1, of note Alienware is also including a custom UI they've developed internally that will allow you to bypass a boot up of Windows, link directly to your main PC, and launch you into Big Picture Mode never even having to see an OS.

The machine will ship "Steam Ready" according to Alienware, and it will be very easy to install Steam OS when it's released by Valve, either replacing the Windows 8.1 installation or being installed to a partition for a dual boot option.

Dethroat.

Awarded:

ugh, Alienware

Serverside Management, Tech Support, TeamSpeak Administration, Website Design/Management Team, WAR TV Host

My location on TeamSpeak
The War is Hell Community TeamSpeak Viewer
Vinncynt

It actually doesn't sound so bad in my books.  Granted as a consumer I'd rather they just released a Steam Machine instead of a Machine that can be upgraded to a Steam Machine.  By that regard I could just buy ANY compact Alienware PC and put Steam OS on it when it's released by Valve.

I'd really like to purchase or build a compact form factor PC for the purpose of streaming from my main PC both video games, movies and other digital content.  I'm just super busy and am starting to think I may end up purchasing something either from an online retailer or having my local guy build me something.  I'd love to think I'd find time to build but I'd rather play a game 

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The War is Hell Community Forum Index -> Community Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: