Post new topic   Reply to topic    The War is Hell Community Forum Index -> Community Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dethroat.
-------------------------

Awarded:

re: Looking for another hard drive

So I am in need of another hard drive and I was hoping some of you more tech savy guys can help me pick a GREAT hard drive that's affordable. Internal of course, possibly SSD? Let's see what you guys can find for me!

Serverside Management, Tech Support, TeamSpeak Administration, Website Design/Management Team, WAR TV Host

My location on TeamSpeak
The War is Hell Community TeamSpeak Viewer
Dethroat.

Awarded:

UPDATE:

I might actually go with this one... Thoughts?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178393

Serverside Management, Tech Support, TeamSpeak Administration, Website Design/Management Team, WAR TV Host

My location on TeamSpeak
The War is Hell Community TeamSpeak Viewer
Vinncynt

This is the SSD you want, it's a Samsung 840 Pro series 512GB drive.  You can go smaller if you like, confine your SSD to games you play frequently and have long load times or are online where load times matter and your OS.  Then get a 2 TB Seagate Barracuda, or for the $100 price point get two, and use them for your overall storage needs.

I don't have the Samsung, I have a Kingston branded SSD that came with my bare bones PC and is only 128 GB's, but I do have the 2 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drive.  I load windows and essential software off the SSD SUPER fast, then the HDD has all my games, music, movies, etc.  Works very well for me, and I'm hoping to upgrade the SSD to that Samsung one in the near future.

Aunedaiel

Just so everyone knows, Samsung does NOT support AMD systems with their SSDs. Go with the Crucial M-series drivers. M4's are supposed to be the best (but pricey) but the M500's are dirt cheap (about 50c / gb)

Vinncynt

I just avoid AMD so thusly have no issues with a Samsung SSD, their 840 Pro series is badass.  Crucial is pretty damn decent too however.

Aunedaiel

AMD4Life! 

I've had issues with Samsung hard drives since the AMDK6/2 and Pentium II days. Repeatedly crashing hunks of junk. WD Drives have been my lifeblood since then. SSDs are completely different territory though, so those might be worth a damn. Either way, I'll never buy another Samsung product (willingly) again. I know they hide their stuff in everyone's new devices, so I can't really help that problem, but yeah.

Vinncynt

See I used to not be a Samsung fan.  The misses had an old Samsung phone back when bar phones were still a thing and the internet took for flipping ever on a phone and it was brutal.

But in 2008 I changed my tune.  I'm a huge fan of their monitors, tv's, home appliances, mobile devices, etc, etc, etc.  Used to be crap but of the past 4 years or so a pretty quality product.  We bought a Samsung laptop back in 2009 and it's STILL kickin.  Still has better spec's than anything you can buy for around $600, never had an issue with it mechanically, etc, etc.

I'd HIGHLY recommend any Samsung product.  Far more readily then I'd recommend any AMD product 

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The War is Hell Community Forum Index -> Community Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: