Post new topic   Reply to topic    The War is Hell Community Forum Index -> MMO Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinncynt
-------------------------

re: Wildstar & Elder Gems

Mike Donatelli, a Product Director at Carbine Studios for Wildstar, took to the Wildstar forums today and posted about Elder Gems.

Firstly you might be asking yourself "What in the hell is an Elder Gem?" and I will answer you!  It's actually very similar to the way XP works in Guild Wars 2 once you hit level cap.  Once you hit cap in Wildstar (lvl 50) anything that would give you XP instead gives you Elder Points.  It fills the same bar (not sure why they didn't just keep it as xp instead of elder points...) and once that bar is full you get an Elder Gem (just like GW2 when you fill the xp bar at max level and get a skill point).  You can only earn so many Elder Gems per week and once you've earned the max number of Elder Gems you earn gold instead of Elder Points.  Yeah I know, it's kinda convoluted and they could have made the system easier than that...  But yea, you earn gems...

As I read that post Mike made this whole Elder Gems thing really does sound like Skill Points from GW2.

Here's the big news though...  What you get at launch will be buffed up in the first patch post launch and you'll have more things you can do with your Elder Gems than is initially available.

Which leads to a burning question I have...  I feel like this is a prime example of a system you KNOW you're going to put in but don't have time to get in before launch.  So Carbine is releasing a game without all the features that they're putting in in order to meet a launch window.  MMO's have taken a lot of flak over recent years for rushing a release that still feels like a Beta and then buffing up the product with patches post launch.

I guess at least Carbine is admitting it up front but still, how do you feel about this practice in gaming?  Are you ok with buying your box, and paying your sub, for an unfinished product?

I talk myself into being ok with it using examples like Landmark, I was ok with "donating" some cash money to be able to get in on the Alpha testing.  SOE was up front with what it is, what's going on, and that you're "donating" or paying to be a tester.  Carbine is at least following suit with being open and up front.

But then there are other games that do this but don't say jack about it until you're six months down the road and then they change the way something works and say "well we were planning on that all along" and then I feel hoodwinked and like I paid for a game that wasn't complete.

Your thoughts?

Tal_lion

Hmm I have been thinking about this topic in a wide sense a lot recently.   Mainly in the aspect of paid alpha beta access. Landmark is cool and I knew what I was getting and I was supporting the development.  If I run mmo beta its purely self centered or it used to be at least.  With less gaming hours I feel less need to rush at start to get uh weelll probably burntout.  My actually problem with this system is much like gw2 dailys I hate being goagoaded into playing by the "miss out" feeling.  I think its cheap and a lot of mmos are feeling like money grabs now by pushing hard early (ESO so hasnt given me that feeling surprisingly).  Of course with the current mmo base this may be the way to go.

DLC's are part of this problem too but people buy them (ex. Exiled prince from DA2 and golem from DA:O.  I find the newer trend of resource packs for cash in single player games more disturbing see Agarest, AC:Blackflag etc.  One day I'll just pay extra to buy the final boss fight and beat every title in 5 min.

Tal_lion

Also I read earlier that Dragon Age Inquisition will have no character dlc's.  The reason behind this is they said that any future character would have to already be coded deep into the game at release or at least parts of the character would be and that they wanted to aviod releasing what would essentially be an unfinished product and or charge people twice for what was already partially there.

Vinncynt

Cudo's to them on that decision.

I don't mind the idea of an "expansion" in a mini-format with a reduced price tag.  It's the act of paying for a retail copy of something that the developer admits isn't finished.  It's a very weird time for gaming and I feel like as consumers we're pulled in all kinds of directions.

Tal_lion

I own sword of the stars 2 and Elemental are those games even finished yet? Lol.  I blame the agile software development trend overall.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The War is Hell Community Forum Index -> MMO Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: